Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A letter to my mom

Dear Mom,
I am sure you are probably starting to tear up and cry right now, in anticipation of the content of this letter. I have no outline or plan for what I am going to write here, so grab your box of kleenex and read on...

First of all, mom, I want to thank you for all sacrafices you have made for us. Too many sacrafices to count. There are probably sacrafices you do not recall and ones that are as fresh in your memory as if they occurred yesterday. I know there are sacrafices you and dad have made that we know nothing about, and there are sacrafices that we are sorely aware of and sacrafices you probably wish we never learned of.

You, mother, are a walking witness of Jesus. Whether you realize it or not, your life, your actions, your love, your discipline, your wisdom, your teachings, your hospitality are a living testimony of how Jesus would want us to live out His highest command: Love. Mom, you are the most selfless person I know. You never put your needs, wants or desires ahead of your family or the children you take care of. You are tender and loving. You are joyful and giving. You are mom and your are grandma. Your love knows no boundaries, your understanding and giving of yourself have no limits.

You have suffered pain and loss that we will never understand. You have overcome hurt and returned cruelty with kindness, patience and love. You, mom, live Galatians 5:22 everyday. I can only hope to hold and model one or two of the fruits of the spirit, but you, mom, you demonstrate all of them without heistation....

I will close this letter for now. I will return again to share with the world, more of my love for you, mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, stopit, my eyes can take no more. Besides, I am really not all that great, you only see the things you want to see. Put your writing talents to another subject, enough of me. Thanks for painting me in such a wonderful light, but I think your light distorts things a bit.
But I am truly grateful for the compliments, but they make me uncomfortable, it's too much for me to live up to. Love,Mom

Anonymous said...

Katie, I think those were some wonderful words you wrote about your mom. If only all kids would appreciate their parents sacrifices. You just made me want to call my mom just to tell her I love her! Thanks Katie !!! Your cousin Mike in Las Vegas.

Katie said...

Ahhh! Mike, so good to hear from you! How is Vegas? Did you call Aunt Lois? I am going to call her tomorrow...Hope you are well. Keep in touch.