Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Update on my sis

Thanks for the prayers!

Kari is still in the hospital. Sunday was a week.
This is what we know:
1. She cannot fight the fevers without medication (Tylenol/IB Profuen)
2. She has high liver counts.
3. She has a swollen spleen.
4. She has lesions on her spleen.
5. Her Gall Bladder does not work (which is seperate issue from the firs four issues).
6. Because her Gall Bladder does not work, she cannot eat with out keeping anything down or causing her severe pain.
7. She is now being fed through an IV (she hadn't eaten anything in about a week).
8. Vials and vials of blood have been taken and tested. Several vials sent to the Mayo Clinic.
9. On Tuesday, results came back that she tested positive for CMV (a virus).
This virus is not serious, and most people have it or have had it and didn't know it. It is common in young children. They do not treat for it unless the person has a compromised immune system or cannot fight a fever for more than two weeks. It is not safe for pregnant women (in their first trimester especially). No pregnant women are allowed in her room, so now I cannot go visit her. The way I understand it, the virus is not suspected to have anything to do with the other issues.
10. THere is talk that she may have a lumbar puncture--test her bone marrow.
11. There is talk that they may perform explratory surgery to check the spleen.
12. There is talk that they may take the spleen, but the suregeon wants to do that as a last resort.
13. They will take the Gall Bladder, but not until she goes 48 hours without a fever.
14. She has been on a few different antibiotics.
15. Her white blood count is not elevated.

When I saw her on Tuesday, before having to leave (because I am pregnant), she was much better than when I had seen her on Saturday. She was sitting in the recliner, she talked and even smiled and giggled a bit. I think getting some nutrients in her made a big difference! That was wonderful. On Saturday, though, she looked absolutely horrible. She could barely keep her eyes open, could hardly move, and if she talked it was a pathetic sounding utterance in response to something.
I do have to say though, that Kim and I made sure she was entertained even if she didn't have the energy to laugh and engage in our antics! Get us three together and ya better watch out! We know how to have a good time and cause a little havoc.
Johnny, Kari's husband of a month, is a gem! He has been by her side day and night. I am so thankful that she has such a wonderful husband that loves her with a great depth.

It has been fun to be home again just hanging out with my family. The kids are getting so big. The heat index has been upwards of 100-115 since I've been back. YUCK!!!!
Thank you again for the prayers.

No comments: